Up your hummus game with the harissa hummus that’s topped with halloumi, orange-infused honey, and charred broccoli! It’s just perfect for entertaining, with all the sweet, salty, smoky, and tangy flavours you could ask for.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Water, as needed to thin
- 1 medium bunch of broccoli, chopped into medium florets
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 of a lemon, sliced and seeds removed
- 100 grams halloumi cheese, sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- Start by making the hummus. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth, adding more lemon juice or water to thin out to your liking. Transfer into an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, roast the broccoli: Preheat the oven to 425 F. Place the broccoli florets on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss with the oil, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Arrange the lemon slices around the broccoli. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until tender and charred in some spots. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Fry the halloumi. Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sliced halloumi. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until browned and crispy. Note: When the halloumi starts to cook, a lot of liquid will be drawn out of it and it will bubble up a bit. This is normal. It will evaporate as the cheese cooks. Remove from the heat and transfer onto a plate.
- Make the orange honey: Place the honey and zest in a small saucepan. Warm over low heat until it melts/thins out. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon and orange juice.
- To assemble: Place the harissa hummus in a nice serving bowl. Arrange the halloumi, charred broccoli, and lemon over top. Drizzle with the honey. Serve with sliced baguette, crackers, multigrain tortilla or pita chips, etc. The hummus, halloumi, and charred broccoli are also delicious in a pita for a tasty lunch- just saying!
For a vegan option, simply omit the halloumi and honey, or use vegan honey (such as apple “honey”).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: harissa hummus recipe