The perfect summer-meets-fall pizza with beet pesto, zucchini, onion, fennel, olives, and cheese!
- No-Knead Pizza Dough or enough pizza dough for 4 medium pizzas
- 2 cups diced cooked beets
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2–1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2–4 tablespoons water, as needed to thin
Caramelized Onion and Fennel
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
For assembling the pizzas
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino cheese
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- Make the pesto: Combine all of the beet pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer into a jar or container until ready to use. Note: This pesto can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to five days.
- Make the caramelized onion and fennel: Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and fennel, plus a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until very soft and caramelized. In the last five minutes, add the pepper, herbs, and red pepper flakes.
- Preheat the oven to 500 F if using pizza stones (or 450 F if you’re using baking sheets). If using pizza stones, place them in the oven for at least 20 minutes to heat up.
- When ready to make your pizzas, divide the dough into four equal portions. On a generously floured surface, stretch out the dough into a rather thin oval or circle shape, depending on the shape of your pans.
- Carefully transfer the dough onto the pre-heated pizza stone. Spread with desired amount of beet pesto (I used about 1/3 cup per pizza). Top with sliced zucchini, caramelized onion and fennel, cheese, and olives. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned to your liking.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: beet pesto pizza