These loaded shawarma oven-baked “fries” are topped with shawarma-spiced roasted cauliflower and chickpeas, fried halloumi, green tahini sauce, pickled onion, and radishes. They make a great appetizer or satisfying main course.
- 6 medium yellow or red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into wedges
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 of a lemon, sliced and seeded
Shawarma-Spiced Cauliflower and Chickpeas
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped into medium florets
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Shawarma spice mix (recipe follows in notes section, or use your favourite store-bought shawarma spice)
- 1 8-oz block halloumi cheese, sliced
Green Tahini Sauce (makes extra)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh herbs (I used cilantro and parsley)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3–1/2 cup water, as needed to thin
- Quick pickled onions (recipe in notes section)
- Make the oven fries: Preheat the oven to 425 F and line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the potato wedges in the middle of one sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread out in an even layer with a bit of space in between the wedges to ensure that they become crispy. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until tender all the way through, golden brown, and crispy around the edges. Add the sliced lemon in the final 15 minutes of roasting.
- Make the shawarma-spiced cauliflower and chickpeas: On the second baking sheet, toss together the cauliflower, chickpeas, shawarma spice, and extra virgin olive oil. Toss to coat and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the halloumi. Warm a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced halloumi in an even layer. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet.
- Make the green tahini: Combine the tahini, lemon juice, honey, garlic, herbs, salt, apple cider vinegar, and water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve: Place the fries on a platter or in individual bowls. Top with the shawarma-spiced cauliflower and chickpeas, halloumi, tahini sauce, quick pickled onions, arugula, and radishes. Enjoy immediately.
Shawarma spice mix: Stir together 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper in a bowl until combined.
Quick pickled onions: Slice a medium red onion and place it in a 16-oz heatproof glass jar. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup to a boil. Pour over the onions and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Category: Main Course, Appetizer
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: loaded vegetarian shawarma fries