This simple, healthy, gluten-free lentil quinoa tabbouleh turns a traditional Middle Eastern side dish into a meal-sized salad. Made with just a handful of summer ingredients, including cucumber, herbs, tomato, lentils, and quinoa, this recipe is a must-have for summer picnics and other such outdoor get-togethers. It’s also the perfect low-fuss weekday meal.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups cooked French green lentils
- 2 packed cups finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 packed cup finely chopped mint
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved, or 2 regular tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 of an English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4–1 teaspoon sea salt (to your taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the quinoa: Combine the quinoa, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, remove from the heat, and fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, combine the quinoa, lentils, parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, green onions, Kalamata olives, and celery in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine the oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper in a jar. Secure the lid and shake to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups of uncooked French green lentils to get 3 cups of cooked lentils. To cook lentils, place in a medium saucepan and cover with a couple of inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn down heat and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, but not falling apart, adding more water as needed, 20-25 minutes. Drain and use as directed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad, Main Course
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: lentil quinoa tabbouleh recipe