Healthy baked banana doughnuts with caramel glaze: The ultimate easy dessert with a caramel glaze that is truly out of this world delicious. Kids and adults alike go crazy for these banana nutmeg doughnuts!
- 2 cups light spelt flour (all purpose should work, too)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large organic egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt, preferably at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons melted organic salted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cane sugar (fair trade + organic if possible)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (faire trade + organic if possible)
Coconut Sugar Caramel
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight so that the cream separates from the water
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons nut or seed butter (I used sunflower)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Make the doughnuts: Lightly grease a doughnut pan with butter and preheat the oven to 350 F. (If you have two doughnut pans, grease both, as this recipe makes 12 doughnuts. Otherwise, just use one pan and bake six at a time.)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the egg. Add the mashed banana, coconut yogurt, melted butter, vanilla, cane sugar, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Add some chocolate chips (up to 1/2 cup), if desired. Spoon the batter into the prepared doughnut pan, filling each well almost to the rim.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait five minutes before removing doughnuts from the pan. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat with the remaining batter, if you only have one doughnut pan.
- Make the coconut sugar caramel glaze: Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out 3/4 cup of the hardened cream. Discard the water or save for another use. Combine this coconut cream and coconut sugar in a medium saucepan. Melt over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until totally uniform. Cook the sauce until small bubbles begin to form on the surface, just before it comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the nut or seed butter, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Glaze the doughnuts: Dip each doughnut in the coconut sugar caramel and allow any excess to drip off. Place each glazed doughnut on a wire rack with a cookie sheet set underneath to catch excess glaze. Allow the glaze to firm up slightly before storing the doughnuts in an even layer in an airtight container. They keep at room temperature for a couple of days, but they are best enjoyed fresh.
I have not yet tested a vegan version, but you can probably make these doughnuts vegan by using a flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2.5 tablespoons of water) in place of the egg, and melted coconut oil in place of the butter.
Healthy baked banana doughnuts were inspired by this recipe.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: healthy baked banana doughnuts with caramel glaze