Beat the summer heat with this wholesome, satisfying, and healthy egg, fried halloumi and berry baby kale salad with lemon caper basil dressing. Tender baby kale is topped with hard boiled eggs, salty + chewy fried halloumi, sweet summer berries, pungent green onions, and a most delicious lemon caper basil pesto dressing. Serve this salad with some bread and butter or more pesto for the perfect low-fuss summer supper.
For the salad
- 1 (250 gram) block halloumi cheese, sliced into 10 equal slices (about 1/4-inch slices)
- 8 lightly packed cups baby kale or arugula
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- 6 large hard boiled eggs, sliced in half
Lemon Caper Basil Pesto Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 large organic lemon (about 1/4 cup of juice)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- Fry the halloumi: Warm up a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, add the sliced halloumi and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned and somewhat crispy. (When you first place the halloumi on the skillet, a lot of liquid will be drawn out of it, but this is normal and evaporates after about 20 seconds.) Remove from the skillet and set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing: Combine the oil, lemon juice and zest, dijon mustard, maple syrup, garlic, capers, salt, pepper, basil, and basil pesto in a jar. Secure the lid and shake to emulsify.
- Make the salad: Place the baby kale in a large salad bowl. Add the berries, green onions, eggs, and halloumi. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over top and eat!
If making ahead, keep the dressing separate until right before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: egg, halloumi, kale salad with berries