These healthy oat flour biscuit strawberry shortcakes with honey whipped cream are so easy to make, and healthier than biscuits made with white flour and a lot of butter. These ones use Greek yogurt for substance without too much butter, and are just lightly sweetened. Topped with honey whipped cream and strawberries, they are a wonderfully simple summer dessert.
Oat Flour Biscuits
- 2/3 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups oat flour, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberries or other berries
- Make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Whisk together the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and egg in a small bowl. In a large bowl, stir together the oat flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or fork. Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. The dough will be on the wet side, but it should not be runny. Add more oat flour if needed.
- Generously flour your work surface with oat flour. Divide the dough in two. Take half of the dough place it on the floured surface. Sprinkle some oat flour on top of the dough. Use a rolling pin or your hands to flatten the dough into a 1-inch thick oval. Using a round biscuit or cookie cutter, or the rim of a drinking glass, cut out biscuits. Transfer onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the second half of dough. You should have enough dough for 6 large biscuits.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Let cool completely before adding the topping.
- Make the honey whipped cream: Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the honey (you can also use maple syrup, if you prefer) and vanilla. Top the biscuits with the whipped cream and strawberries. You can drizzle with additional honey, if you like, as these biscuits are not very sweet on their own.
To make it vegan: Replace the Greek yogurt with thick non-dairy yogurt, add a tablespoon of chia or ground flax seeds to replace the egg, and replace the butter with cold coconut oil. You may need to add a a tablespoon or two of non-dairy milk, too. Make coconut whipped cream with maple syrup in place of the regular whipped cream with honey.
Leftover shortcakes can be stored in the fridge for up to four days.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: oat flour biscuit strawberry shortcake