A touch more sophisticated than your average grilled cheese sandwich, this version combines basil pesto, charred broccoli and red onion, brie, and hot honey for a very flavourful and healthy meal.
Charred Broccoli and Red Onion
- 4 cups broccoli florets (from 1 bunch of broccoli)
- 1/2 of a large red onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch each sea salt and pepper
Basil Pesto (makes extra)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or Parmesan
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 6 slices whole grain sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons organic butter
- Sliced brie, enough to cover the bread slices
- Roast the broccoli and onion: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the broccoli florets and onion on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 22-25 minutes, until slightly charred in some spots.
- Meanwhile, make the basil pesto: Place the cashews in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade and process until coarsely ground. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Warm the honey and red pepper flakes in a small pot over low heat, so that it becomes a bit runny and easier to drizzle.
- Finally, make the sandwiches: Spread the outside of each slice of bread with butter. On the inside, spread desired amount of pesto (around 2 tablespoons is a nice amount), followed by some charred broccoli, a drizzle of honey, and a few slices of brie. Top with the second slice of bread.
- Warm a skillet (I highly recommend cast iron) over medium heat. Once hot, add the sandwiches (you can only cook one or two at a time, depending on the size of your sandwiches and skillet) and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until golden and crispy.
- Slice and enjoy immediately! If you have any left over, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat in a skillet for a couple minutes per side.
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: pesto brie broccoli grilled cheese sandwich recipe