This crunchy, colourful summer salad features arugula, beets, green peas, cabbage, celery, and a fresh, herbaceous hemp goddess dressing.
- 5 oz baby arugula (about 4 packed cups)
- 1 cup shelled green peas (thawed if frozen)
- 1/4 of a small head of purple cabbage, grated (see note)
- 1 large beet, peeled and grated (see note)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced or diced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
Hemp Goddess Dressing
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs of choice (I used dill and mint, but parsley, cilantro, and basil are also good)
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup, use less if a more tart dressing is desired
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- Place the arugula in a big salad bowl. Arrange the avocado, peas, cabbage, beet, and celery over top. Alternatively, divide the arugula between four smaller individual bowls and arrange the vegetables over top.
- Make the dressing: Place the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, green onions, herbs, hemp, honey, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and water in an upright blender. Blend until smooth, beginning at low speed and increasing to high. Add a splash more water if the dressing seems too thick for your liking. It should be pourable but not watery.
- Either add desired amount of dressing to the salad and toss to coat, or serve individual salad portions and drizzle the dressing on over top, as shown in the photos. (The salad keeps longer if you keep the dressing separate from the veggies until right before serving.) You’ll probably have more dressing than you need for the salad; store extra dressing in an airtight jar in the fridge for four days. It’s also a tasty dip for raw veggies.)
- And then enjoy!
I recommend using a food processor’s grating attachment to grate the cabbage and beet. If you do not have a food processor, finely chop the cabbage, and grate the beet using a box grater.
- Category: Salad
Keywords: beet pea arugula salad with green goddess dressing