Broccoli white bean burgers with brie and lemon dill aioli! I bet you’ve never tried broccoli in your veggie burgers. Spoiler: It’s surprisingly delicious when combined with creamy white beans, lots of seasonings, and melted brie + lemon dill aioli!
Broccoli White Bean Patties
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup roasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 3/4 cup oat flour or sourdough bread crumbs
- Several slices of brie cheese, for melting on top
Lemon Dill Aioli
- 1/2 cup quality mayonnaise (such as Primal Kitchen or Chosen Foods- vegan, if desired)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the burgers
- Your favourite burger buns
- Sliced cucumber
- Any other condiments you like
- Make the white bean broccoli patties: Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Meanwhile, place the broccoli florets in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade and pulse several times, until broken up and “riced.” (It should resemble grains of rice or quinoa in size.) Add the riced broccoli to the skillet, followed by the salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Cook until the broccoli is bright green, just 3-5 more minutes.
- Clean out the bowl of the food processor and then add the pepitas. Process into a coarse meal. Transfer into a large bowl. Next, place the white beans in the food processor and pulse several times, until broken up and coarsely ground. Stop before they turn into a paste, as some texture is desirable. Add them to the bowl with the pumpkin seeds.
- Add the cooked onion/garlic/broccoli to the bowl containing the pepitas and white beans. Next, add the ground flax, Worcestershire sauce, dijon, lemon juice, and oat flour. Mix thoroughly to combine. I recommend mixing by hand at this point to ensure that everything is evenly distributed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form the mixture into 6-8 patties, pressing together firmly to make sure that they hold together perfectly while baking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crispy on the outside and lightly browned all over. In the final three minutes of baking, top each patty with a couple of slices of brie and return to the oven to melt.
- While the burgers are in the oven, mix up the aioli: Whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, green onion, dill, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Finally, place the patties on the buns, add some spinach, cucumber, and aioli, and eat!
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mediterranean American
Keywords: broccoli white bean veggie burger recipe