These vegan chocolate chunk oatmeal cookie bars are love at first bite! Made with wholesome ingredients like coconut oil, nut or seed butter, oats, dark chocolate, and light spelt flour, they have a crisp exterior that gives way to a soft, chewy interior, just like the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 2.5 tablespoons water (1 flax egg)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter or almond butter
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup light spelt flour (may sub all purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup large flake rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 100 grams dark chocolate, chopped (I used a 70% cacao content dark chocolate bar) or 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking dish with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang to allow you to lift the bar out of the pan once it cools.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flax and water. Set aside for a couple of minutes to thicken. Next, add the coconut oil, nut or seed butter, cane sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk together until smooth and uniform.
- In the medium bowl, stir together the light spelt, baking soda, baking powder, salt, oats, and coconut.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well. Mix in the chopped dark chocolate. At this point, I like to use my hands to mix the dough one last time to make sure that everything is well distributed and combined.
- Transfer the cookie dough into the prepared pan. Lightly wet your hands and press the dough into an even layer.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, depending on how gooey you like your cookie bars.
- Cool completely in the pan, then transfer the bar, pan and all, into the fridge for 30 minutes. Remove from the fridge and slice into 9-16 squares.
- Enjoy one immediately with an ice cold glass of your favourite milk, and store the rest in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or in the fridge for a week.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: vegan chocolate chunk cookie bars