These Mediterranean lentil burgers boast plenty of herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, lemon, and garlic. Enjoy on buns with green goddess pesto, lettuce, and tomato for the ultimate veggie burger all spring and summer long.
Mediterranean Lentil Burgers
- 3 cups cooked green lentils (see note)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus a small pinch
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (basil, parsley, mint, or a combination)
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- Burger buns
- Sliced tomato
- Lettuce or arugula
- Green Goddess Pesto or your favourite pesto
- Place the oats and cashews in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Grind into a meal. Transfer into a large bowl. Add the cooked lentils to the food processor and pulse five times. Transfer the ground lentils into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a small pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about five minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook three minutes more. Stir in the salt, pepper, oregano, fresh herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, balsamic, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer this mixture into the bowl of ground cashews/oats/lentils. Add the ground flax and mix well to combine. (I like to use my hands to make sure that everything gets mixed together well.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line one very large or two medium baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Form the lentil burger mixture into 6-8 patties, depending on your preferred burger size. Place each patty on the prepared baking sheet, leaving an inch of space in between each.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through. The burgers are ready when they appear crispy around the edges and they slide off of the parchment paper effortlessly without leaving any residue.
- Serve on buns with any desired accompaniments.
How to cook lentils: Place 1 1/4 cups of green lentils in a medium saucepan. Cover with a few inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat slightly and maintain a rolling simmer until lentils are soft and tender but not falling apart, 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more water as needed. Drain through a fine mesh sieve, measure to make sure that you have three cups, and proceed with the recipe.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Supper
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean Lentil Veggie Burgers