Smashed chickpea avocado sandwiches with dill and pickles: A delicious and healthy alternative to mayonnaise-based sandwich fillings. Flavourful, satisfying, packed with healthy fat from the avocado. Perfect for lunch at home or a picnic.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pickles
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill, or to taste
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whole grain bread, pitas, bagels, or tortillas
- Lettuce or arugula
- To begin, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or the back of a fork until broken up. A few whole chickpeas are okay. Mash in the avocado. Add the lemon juice, garlic, green onion, celery dill, pickles, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired- feel free to add more lemon or salt to suit your taste.
- Divide the smashed chickpea avocado salad between slices of bread, top with a lettuce leaf, and then top with the second slice of bread. Serve!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: smashed chickpea avocado sandwich