Vegan fruit pizza with maple orange cashew cream: Can you say spring and summer dessert perfection? A date, oat, and coconut oil dessert pizza crust is topped with maple orange cashew cream and seasonal fruit for a decadent yet healthy dessert, or, dare I say, breakfast!
Date Oat Crust
- 2 cups large flake rolled oats
- 1/2 cup soft pitted Medjool dates (pitted before measuring- about 6 large dates)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Maple Orange Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained (see note)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of one orange
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Kiwi, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, mangos, strawberries, etc… let your imagination run wild
- Chocolate sauce (optional)
- Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9-inch round cake pan or pie plate with parchment paper. Place the rolled oats in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Process until a coarse flour forms. Next, add the dates, coconut oil, salt, and nutmeg. Process until it all sticks together when pressed between your fingers. If it isn’t sticking together, add a tablespoon or two of water and continue to process until it sticks together.
- Crumble the crust mixture into the prepared cake pan or pie plate and press down firmly with lightly wet hands into an even layer. Poke several holes with a fork to allow air to escape and bake for 11-13 minutes. (I baked mine for 13 minutes.) Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes in the pan. Then remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Make the cashew cream: Place the soaked cashews, maple syrup, coconut oil, salt, lemon juice, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla in an upright blender. Blend until ultra smooth. (If you don’t have a high speed blender, it won’t ever become ultra smooth and velvety the way that it does in a Vitamix, but that’s okay- it will still be tasty.) Transfer into a jar or container and refrigerate the cashew maple orange cream for at least 2 hours.
- Assemble the vegan fruit pizza: Spread desired amount of the sweet cashew cream over the crust. Top with desired amount of fruit and slice using a sharp knife. Serve!
Cashews can be soaked in boiling water for 45 minutes or cool water for at least 4 hours.
The cashew cream makes more than you’ll need for the fruit pizza. Enjoy leftover cream as a dip for fruit, in smoothies, and over hot or cold oatmeal. Delicious and nutritious!
Slice and store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Keywords: vegan fruit pizza with cashew maple cream