Vegan banana layer cake with chocolate avocado icing: Two layers of banana spice cake with chocolate avocado icing, perfect for birthdays, holidays, and any day you need a treat. It’s naturally sweetened with coconut sugar and maple syrup.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 5 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, or 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (from 4 medium very ripe bananas)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Chocolate Avocado Frosting
- 2 large ripe avocados, pitted and flesh scooped out
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with coconut oil and dust with flour. Shake out any excess. (Alternatively, grease the pans and line the bottom of each with parchment paper cut to fit the bottom of the pan.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water. Wait a couple of minutes, until it thickens. Add the melted coconut oil or sunflower oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, mashed bananas, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder and soda, sea salt, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk or stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Evenly divide the cake batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool in the pans for at least 30 minutes. Run a rubber/silicone spatula around the edges to loosen the cakes, then carefully invert onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. (If you used parchment paper, carefully remove it from the cakes.)
- While the cake cools, make the chocolate avocado frosting: Place the avocados, maple syrup, cocoa, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Process until very smooth, pausing every so often to scape down the sides with a spatula.
- Frost the cake. Spread desired amount of chocolate avocado frosting over one of the cakes, then top with the second cake and use the rest of the frosting for the top and sides. Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream for the ultimate dessert!
Covered, the cake keeps for up to two days at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
Keywords: vegan banana layer cake