Chili lime tofu hummus veggie wraps: Tofu baked to perfection for lime and Mexican spices, chipotle hummus, roasted broccoli and peppers, and avocado, all wrapped up in a soft, floury tortillas. The perfect fun, high protein, and healthy vegan supper!
Chili Lime Tofu
- 1 block (around 450 grams) firm or extra-firm tofu
- Zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or grated, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
- 1/2–3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed to thin
- Flour tortillas (I used Silver Hills Bakery sprouted grain tortillas)
- Diced avocado or guacamole (see note for my guacamole recipe)
- Start by marinating the tofu. (Ideally, you’ll let it marinate for up to eight hours, but if you are pressed for time, you can marinate it for 30 minutes.) Chop the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a 9×13-inch baking dish. In a bowl, whisk together the lime juice and zest, oil, balsamic, tamari, arrowroot, chili powder, and garlic or garlic powder. Pour over the tofu and toss to coat. Set aside for at least 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to eight hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer the tofu from the baking dish to one of the prepared baking sheets, reserving the marinade to add to the tofu in the final five minutes of baking. (Waiting to add the marinade until the end prevents it from burning.)
- Place the broccoli, bell pepper, and red onion on the second prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss very well to coat. It helps to “massage” the oil into the broccoli to ensure that it is well coated.
- Place both the tofu and the vegetables in the oven. Bake the tofu for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and toss with the remaining chili lime marinade. Return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes.
- Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, while the tofu and vegetables are in the oven, make the chipotle hummus: Place the chickpeas, lime juice, olive oil, tahini, garlic, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, salt, pepper, and water in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Blend until smooth.
- Warm up the tortillas in a covered dish in the oven or on the stovetop, if desired.
- To serve, spread a generous amount of hummus on a tortilla, followed by desired amount of chili lime tofu, roasted vegetables, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, and salsa. Roll up and enjoy!
My favourite easy guacamole: 2 medium ripe avocados, mashed; 1/4 cup lime juice; 1/2 teaspoon sea salt; 2 garlic cloves, grated or pressed; and 1/4 cup cilantro, minced. Stir it all together and enjoy!
It is highly likely that you will have leftover hummus, tofu, and roasted vegetables. Store them separately in airtight containers in the fridge and enjoy for lunch the next day.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chili lime tofu wraps