This southwestern black bean, quinoa and sweet potato salad with kale, corn, avocado, and tangy lime dressing is just bursting with flavour and colour. Enjoy as a main meal or side dish.
- 2 heaping cups diced peeled sweet potato (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 4 cups thinly sliced lacinato/Tuscan kale (from 1 bunch)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup corn (thawed if frozen)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini or sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Garnishes (choose a couple)
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted pepitas
- Pickled red onions (see note for instructions)
- Chopped pitted Medjool dates
- Chopped pitted green olives
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the diced sweet potato in a heap in the middle and drizzle on the olive oil and add a pinch each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat and spread out in an even layer. Roast for 25 minutes, or until fork tender and lightly browned around the edges.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa. Combine the quinoa, water, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low, and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, then lightly fluff with a fork and let cool. Once cool, transfer into a large bowl.
- Prepare all of the vegetables (slice the kale, chop the onion and cilantro, dice the avocado), and set aside.
- Next, make the dressing. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a jar, secure the lid, and shake vigorously to incorporate.
- Once the sweet potato is cool enough to handle, add it to the bowl with the quinoa. Add the kale, black beans, red onion, cilantro, corn, and avocado, then pour the dressing over top. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with your choice of garnishes and enjoy!
To make quick-pickled red onions, combine 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar/ 1/2 cup of water, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon maple syrup or cane sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, thinly slice a red onion and place it in a heat-proof Mason jar. Once boiling, remove the liquid from the heat and pour it over the onion. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to pickle before enjoying. Store leftovers in the fridge.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Southwestern
Keywords: quinoa black bean sweet potato salad with kale