These vegan, gluten-free carrot cake oatmeal breakfast bars are like baked oatmeal in handheld form. They’re sweetened naturally with bananas and dates, and have entirely whole foods ingredients like oats, carrots, walnuts, and chia.
- 2 medium peeled carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats, divided
- 1/2 cup raw walnut halves
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates (soft for best results)
- 2 tablespoons softened coconut oil
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place the peeled roughly chopped carrots in a food processor and pulse several times until crumbs form. You should have about 1 cup. Rinse and dry the food processor.
- Place 2 cups of the oats in the food processor and grind into a coarse flour. Next, add the walnuts and process until ground.
- Add the dates, coconut oil, bananas, chia, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, sea salt, vanilla, and milk. Process until mostly smooth; some texture is okay.
- Pulse in the carrots, the remaining 1/2 cup of oats and the coconut.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 8×8-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper. (There should be overhang so that you can lift the bar out of the pan afterwards.)
- Scoop the dough out of the food processor into the prepared pan. Using wet hands or a spatula, spread the dough out in an even layer and smooth the top as much as you can.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. (I baked mine for 40, but my oven runs cooler than some.)
- Let cool in the pan before lifting out and slicing into 9 squares. Spread with toppings of choice and enjoy!
- You can store leftover bars in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or in the fridge for a couple of weeks. You could probably freeze them for longer term storage as well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan carrot cake oatmeal breakfast bars