These vegan strawberry oatmeal almond squares are healthy enough for breakfast and snacks, yet indulgent enough for dessert- especially when served warm with a scoop of ice cream.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates (the softer, the better)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup jam of choice (depending on how jammy you like it)*
- Line a 8×8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving overhang so that the square can be lifted out later. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the rolled oats to a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Process until a coarse flour forms. Add the almonds and process until coarsely ground.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor: Dates, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil, shredded coconut, chia, and water. Process until a dough that sticks together when pressed between your fingers forms.
- Reserve 1 cup of the dough for topping. (Just crumble the dough into a 1 cup measuring cup.)
- Crumble the remaining oat almond dough into the prepared baking pan. Lightly wet your hands and press the dough firmly down into an even layer in the dish. With a fork, poke several holes in the crust. Parbake this crust for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the jam over top of the pre-baked crust and spread into an even layer.
- Crumble the reserved 1 cup of dough over top of the jam.
- Place back in the oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the square to cool before slicing into 9-12 squares. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days, or in the refrigerator for at least a week.
*You can use store-bought jam or homemade chia seed jam.
Keywords: vegan strawberry jam oatmeal squares