- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 heaping cups broccoli florets (from 1 bunch)
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green kale, stemmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
Balsamic Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges
- Cashew Hemp Parmesan or crumbled feta/grated pecorino
- Cook the brown rice: Combine the brown rice, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside until ready to use.
- Roast the broccoli and pepper: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the broccoli florets and chopped bell pepper in a bowl. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, or until tender and charred in some spots.
- Once cooked, add the brown rice and roasted vegetables to a large bowl, followed by the chopped kale, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, mint, parsley, and chickpeas.
- Make the dressing: Add the olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, balsamic, garlic, maple syrup, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to a jar. Secure the lid and shake vigorously to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve the salad in bowls or on plates and top with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan, feta, or pecorino and a squeeze of lemon.
Leftover salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: broccoli chickpea brown rice salad