This vegan mac and cheese consists of butternut squash cheese sauce tossed with pasta that’s topped with an addictive buffalo tofu crumble! Perfect vegan recipe for game night, date night, or for feeding hungry kids or teenagers!
Butternut Squash “Cheese” Sauce
- 6 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2–3 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (as needed)
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 block (450 grams) firm or extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Original Hot Sauce (this is the only brand that I have tried, and I recommend it- it’s not too hot, just perfect for this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or melted vegan butter (or regular butter if you eat it)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 454 grams uncooked pasta of choice
- Fresh parsley
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Roast the squash: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cubed squash on the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast for 30-40 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Make the buffalo tofu crumbles: Crumble the tofu by hand into a medium bowl. Whisk together the hot sauce, garlic, and oil or melted butter in a small dish and pour over the tofu. Toss to coat. Transfer onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through so that it gets evenly browned.
- Meanwhile, cook the garlic: Warm the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and fragrant, about five minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once the squash has cooled slightly, you’re ready to make the butternut squash cheese sauce. Place the non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, cooked garlic, roasted squash, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar in an upright blender and blend until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender, you might need to do this in two batches. Adjust seasonings as desired: Feel free to add more salt, lemon, or vinegar to suit your taste. Pour into a medium saucepan, cover loosely, and warm over low heat.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package. I used fusilli, but feel free to use macaroni for a more authentic mac and cheese.
- Right before serving, pour desired amount of cheese sauce over the pasta and stir to coat. Depending on how saucy you like it, you might not need all of it- but the sauce gets absorbed by the pasta quite quickly, so it’s always nice to have extra.
- Serve the pasta in bowls and top with the buffalo tofu crumbles, fresh parsley, and some vegan parmesan, if desired.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan macaroni and cheese with buffalo tofu