These roasted root vegetable and chickpea bowls with umami-rich nutritional yeast dressing are bound to make you feel grounded, nourished, and energized all winter long!
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 2 large yellow potatoes, unpeeled, diced into 1-inch cubes (4 heaping cups)
- 2 beets, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 6 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder
Nutritional Yeast Dressing
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil or cold-pressed sunflower seed oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bunch kale or broccoli, stemmed and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the diced potatoes in a medium bowl and drizzle with 1/2 a tablespoon of the oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and toss to coat. Transfer in an even layer onto one half of one of the baking sheets. Repeat this process with the beets, placing them on the other half of the baking sheet that you have the potatoes on. Repeat with the carrots as well, but spread them out in an even layer on the second baking sheet.
- Roast the beets and potatoes for 34-40 minutes, or until fork-tender and browned. Roast the carrots for 15-20 minutes, or until fork-tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the nutritional yeast dressing: Combine the nutritional yeast, water, tamari, apple cider vinegar, garlic, hemp, oil, and maple syrup in an upright blender. Start on low speed and gradually increase to high. Blend until smooth. Transfer into a jar or container and cover until ready to serve.
- Finally, make the crispy skillet-fried chickpeas. Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and somewhat crispy, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Cook for a couple more minutes and remove from the heat. At the same time, steam the broccoli or kale in a pot fitted with a steamer.
- To serve, portion out desired amounts of roasted root vegetables, broccoli or greens, and chickpeas into bowls and drizzle with the dressing.
- The dressing makes a lot more than you’ll need for the bowls, but it keeps in the fridge for ages, and comes in handy when you need a healthy salad dressing.
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: nutritional yeast dressing, roasted root vegetable chickpea bowls