This detox cabbage kale slaw with cranberry vinaigrette will help reset your system after an indulgent holiday, yet it’s so delicious, no one will know just how healthy it is!
- 4 cups thinly shredded lacinato/Tuscan kale
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage (from half of a medium cabbage)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 crisp, sweet apple (such as Pink Lady or Honey Crisp), diced
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2–4 tablespoons water, as needed
- Place all of the slaw ingredients in a bowl.
- Make the vinaigrette: Place all vinaigrette ingredients in an upright blender and start on low, then gradually increase blending speed to high and blend until super smooth and emulsified. This will take a bit of time, due to the dried cranberries, but it will come. Start with 2 tablespoons of water, and add more as needed.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss so that all of the vegetables are nicely coated in dressing.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
I like to use the grater attachment on my food processor to make quick work of shredding the cabbage and grating the carrots.
Cranberry Vinaigrette adapted from the Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates cookbook.
To toast walnuts, place on a baking sheet and roast at 325 F for 8 minutes.
- Category: Salad
Keywords: detox winter slaw with cabbage and kale