These vegan, gluten-free peanut butter brownies are oil-free and refined sugar-free, but incredibly fudgey and decadent-tasting! You’d never know that they are made with wholesome ingredients. My best brownies yet!
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper with enough overhang to allow you to easily lift the brownie out of the pan after it cools.
- Prepare the flax egg: In a large bowl, whisk together the flax and water. Wait a couple of minutes for it to thicken. To the bowl, add peanut butter, applesauce, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Mix in the chocolate chips. The batter will be thick. This is normal for a brownie!
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. I recommend wetting your hands and using them to press the brownie into all four corners of the pan. Smooth it out into an even layer.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes- 18 minutes for a very fudgey brownie!
- Let the brownie cool in the pan for 30 minutes. You can then lift it out of the pan and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. I sliced mine into 9 large brownies, but you can also go for 12-16 smaller squares if you wish.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for a few days, or in the fridge or freezer for longer term storage.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: vegan gluten-free peanut butter brownies