These quesadillas will rock your world! Kidney beans seasoned with Caribbean spices, peppers, and kale are stuffed into flour tortillas with cheese, then baked and served with mango aioli for dipping.
Caribbean Red Beans
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (use less for a milder heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans (or 2 14-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 bunch green or lacinato kale, chopped (about 4 packed cups)
- Caribbean Kidney Beans from above
- 1 cup grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (vegan, if desired)
- 4–5 large (8-12-inch) whole grain flour tortillas (the brand that I tend to use is Indian Life, which is often available at natural grocers in Canada)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like Chosen Foods brand)- vegan, if desired
- 1/2 cup diced peeled mango
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Make the Caribbean Kidney Beans: Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and a tiny pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or so, until nicely browned. Add the spices, salt, and pepper, followed by the red bell pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding the kidney beans and kale. Cook until the kale is wilted and bright green.
- Make the quesadillas: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper. You’ll be making 4-5 quesadillas, depending on the size of your tortillas. (The ones that I have been buying from Whole Foods Market are incredibly large, so I only get 4 quesadillas out of this batch of beans, but you might be able to get more.) Add a scant cup of the bean mixture to half of a tortilla, sprinkle with 1/4 cup of grated cheese, and fold over. Repeat with the remaining beans and tortillas. Bake for 16-20 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure that both sides become crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the mango aioli: Place the mayonnaise, mango, garlic, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer into a jar or container.
- Serve! Slice the quesadillas into triangles and serve with the aioli.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Supper, Appetizer
- Cuisine: Caribbean
Keywords: Caribbean kidney bean quesadillas