A delicious homemade vegetarian pizza with roasted broccoli, artichokes, and olives. Perfect for pizza night and not too difficult to make!
SPELT FLOUR PIZZA DOUGH
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups light spelt flour or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
THE REST OF THE TOPPINGS
- 2 1/2 cups pizza sauce (I like Eden Organic or Rao’s), more or less depending on how saucy you like it
- 1 (290 gram) jar artichokes in brine, drained
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 cups crumbled feta or grated mozzarella, plus more as desired
- Make the pizza dough: Add the maple syrup and warm water to a small bowl. Sprinkle in the yeast and let it dissolve. It will fall to the bottom, and then it will activate and rise to the top, creating a foamy layer on top of the water. This process takes 5-10 minutes. If this doesn’t happen, your water wasn’t at the right temperature or your yeast isn’t fresh. Try again or buy fresh yeast.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Add the activated yeast mixture and the olive oil. Stir to combine, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for two minutes, until you have a nice, smooth, elastic dough that isn’t too sticky nor too dry. Transfer the dough into a lightly greased clean bowl, cover with a towel, and set aside to rise for one hour.
- Roast the broccoli: Add the broccoli florets, onion, and garlic to a medium bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat and transfer onto a baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Prepare the other toppings: Slice the olives and artichokes. Crumble the feta.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it a few times and divide into three equal balls.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit if using a pizza stone, stone baking sheet, or cast iron pizza pan, or 450 degrees Fahrenheit if using a metal baking sheet. If using stoneware or cast iron pans, place them in the oven to preheat while the oven is heating up.
- Assemble the pizzas: Make sure your work surface is generously floured to prevent dough from sticking. Take one of the three pizza dough balls and, using a rolling pin, roll out into a circle measuring 12-14 inches in diameter, depending on how thin you like your crust. (Note: If using a rectangular baking sheet, roll it into more of an oval shape.)
- If you have preheated your pans, remove them from the oven now. Carefully transfer the rolled out dough to one of the pans. Spread with one third of the pizza sauce and top with one third of the roasted broccoli, one third of the olives, one third of the artichokes, and one third of the feta. Place in the oven and bake for 7-8 minutes. Broil for one minute at the end to brown the cheese, if desired.
- Repeat step number 8 with the remaining two balls of pizza dough. Slice and serve. I love adding hot sauce or chili flakes to mine! I also recommend serving this avocado kale Caesar salad on the side- it really is the perfect pairing.
- Prep Time: 80 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: roasted broccoli artichoke feta pizza