This delightfully creamy vegan sweet potato corn chowder is made with cashew cream instead of dairy, but it’s just as comforting as classic chowder.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups diced zucchini or red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cups peeled diced sweet potato
- 4 cups vegetable broth, plus more as desired
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 45 minutes in boiling water
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups corn kernels (fresh or thawed from frozen- organic, if possible)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Warm the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and fragrant, 8 minutes. Add the zucchini and celery and cook for five more minutes. Add pepper and thyme, followed by the diced sweet potato.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Then, turn down heat to medium, cover loosely with the lid, and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream. Blend the cashews and water in an upright blender until ultra smooth.
- Stir the corn kernels into the soup, followed by the cashew cream.
- Blend half of the chowder in an upright blender, and pour back into the pot, leaving the other half chunky. Warm back up to desired serving temperature. Add more broth if a thinner soup is desired.
- Mix in the apple cider vinegar and fresh dill right before serving. Taste and adjust salt and vinegar as desired. Add a sprinkle of chili flakes for a pop of heat, if desired, and garnish individual bowls with fresh dill, if desired.
For a nut-free version, use 1/2 cup of soaked and drained sunflower seeds for the cream component instead of cashews.
Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant.
- Category: Soup, Supper, Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan sweet potato and corn chowder, dairy-free corn chowder