This chickpea brown rice spinach artichoke casserole incorporates the beloved spinach-artichoke combination into a grounding, nourishing vegan casserole that sticks to your ribs and is guaranteed to warm you right up.
- 1 1/2 cups long grain or basmati brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup artichokes in brine (drained before measuring, chopped)
- 6 packed cups spinach, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 14-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan*
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (such as Chosen Foods vegan mayonnaise)
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (I like basil or parsley)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Start by cooking the brown rice: To a medium saucepan, add 2 1/2 cups of water. Rinse and drain brown rice through a fine mesh sieve. Add to the pot along with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and lightly fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 8 minutes. Add the pepper, rosemary, thyme, chili flakes, artichokes, spinach, chickpeas, cooked brown rice, balsamic, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil and scoop the rice and chickpea mixture into it. Top with 1/2 cup of vegan parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the aioli by blending together vegan mayonnaise, garlic, herbs, and lemon juice. Alternatively, make the Magic Green Avocado Sauce from this recipe if mayo isn’t your thing.
- Serve the casserole warm, with extra parmesan and aioli on top.
*Make the hemp cashew parmesan according to the directions in that recipe, but omit the hemp and use an additional 1/2 cup of cashews instead.
I sometimes add a handful of sliced pitted Kalamata olives to the mix for extra flavour.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Supper
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: vegan spinach artichoke rice casserole, vegan brown rice chickpea casserole