These gluten-free vegan oat fudge bars are so ridiculously delicious, you’d never know that they’re made with good for you ingredients like oats, almond butter, and dates. They’re both oil-free and refined sugar-free, too!
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax plus 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
Date Fudge Layer
- 12 SOFT pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the ground flax with water in a large bowl and wait for it to thicken. To the bowl, add coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Next, add the dry ingredients one by one, stirring after each addition. The dough will be quite sticky.
- Make the date fudge: Place the soft pitted dates, almond butter, cocoa powder, almond milk, and sea salt in a food processor. Blend until super smooth. This will take a few minutes: Initially, you will wonder if it will ever get smooth, but be patient and it will happen! Add the chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate and pulse just until incorporated.
- Wet you hands and press three quarters of the dough into the prepared baking pan. Spread the date fudge in an even layer over the base, and crumble the remaining dough evenly over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow the bar to cool completely before slicing into 9 bars. If you want a firmer bar, refrigerate before slicing.
The date fudge turns out best when the dates are very, very soft and gooey. If your dates are not very soft, I recommend soaking them in warm water until they are.
For a nut-free bar, use sunflower seed butter or tahini in place of almond butter.
This recipe was inspired by Sweet Like Cocoa‘s oat fudge bars.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan oat fudge bar, gluten-free oat fudge bar, healthy oat fudge bar