Delicious and hearty vegan soup with southwestern spices, sweet potato, quinoa, and white beans.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- Pinch of cayenne
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 heaping cups diced peeled sweet potato (from 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked white beans (navy, great northern, or cannellini)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- Juice of 1 lime
- Cilantro for garnish
- Warm the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and celery. Cook, stirring often, until nicely browned, about 8 minutes. Add the spices, salt, and pepper. (I started with 1/2 tsp of salt and added more to taste at the end.) Cook for a minute more.
- Next, add the sweet potato, quinoa, white beans, and broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then turn down to medium low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the quinoa is cooked.
- Puree half of the soup, leaving the other half chunky for texture. Stir in the salsa verde and lime juice right before serving. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro and additional salsa.