Quick and easy Buffalo Cauliflower Chickpea Burgers inspired by the quintessential vegan favourite, Buffalo cauliflower wings. Take them over the top by topping them with a cool cashew dill ranch.
- 2 heaping cups cauliflower florets, chopped small
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 15-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1¼ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white or green onion
- 1/4 cup + 8 tsp hot sauce, divided (I used Frank’s original, as the spice level is perfect for this recipe)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp ground flax
Garlic Dill Ranch
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours and drained*//sub hemp hearts for nut-free option
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 toasted burger buns (I like sprouted grain) OR 8 lettuce leaves OR 8 collard leaves
- Sliced tomato
- Baby greens or lettuce
- Shredded carrots
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Pulse until the florets resemble little grains of rice. Empty into a large mixing bowl.
- Pulse the chickpeas in the food processor until crumbly and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Place the rolled oats in the food processor and process until a coarse flour forms. Then add them to the bowl as well.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl: the cooked quinoa, olive oil, garlic, onion, hot sauce, smoked paprika, flax, salt, and pepper. Mix with a large spoon or use your hands to stir everything around.
- Divide into 8-10 even patties. To form them more easily, lightly oil a 1/2 cup measure, press burger mixture in to fit, and guide it out using your hands, then press around the edges to compact.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until becoming crisp around the edges. (Cooking times will differ depending on your oven and the type of baking sheet that you have.)
- While the burgers are in the oven, make the garlic-dill ranch: Place all ingredients except the dill into a blender and blend until very smooth and creamy. Pour into a jar or bowl and mix in the dill. Cover until ready to use.
- OPTIONAL STEP: To give the burgers an irresistible crispy buffalo sauce exterior, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add 2 tsp of olive oil or coconut oil to the skillet and place four burgers on it. Drizzle 1 tsp of hot sauce onto the top of each burger. Cook for 3 minutes per side, then repeat with the remaining 4 burgers. If you choose not to proceed with this step, simply add more hot sauce to your burger along with the other accompaniments.
- To serve, place a burger on the bottom half of a bun or lettuce/collard leaves. Top with pickles, ranch, tomato, lettuce, and carrots.
*Quick soak option: Place the cashews in a pot of boiling water and soak for 45 minutes, then drain and proceed.
*Recipe inspired by Cookie and Kate’s Cauliflower Falafel Veggie Burgers.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American