These vegan poutine stuffed sweet potatoes are a healthy take on a Canadian classic, made with miso mushroom gravy, kale, crispy chickpeas, and tofu cheese!
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 batch miso mushroom gravy
- 2 bunches green kale, roughly chopped
- 1 block (350-450 g) firm or extra firm organic tofu
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 big lemons)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on one sheet. Pierce them with a fork so air can escape while baking. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until tender all the way through.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Transfer to the second baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. They’ll crisp up more as they cool.
- Prepare the gravy according to the instructions in this recipe.
- Make the tofu cheese by blending the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, tahini, and salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Steam the kale in a steaming basket for 3 minutes, until bright green and tender.
- To serve, slice the sweet potatoes almost completely in half and fill with steamed kale, gravy, tofu cheese, and roasted chickpeas.
The tofu cheese spread is also delicious on bread and crackers!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Supper
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Canadian
Keywords: vegan poutine, stuffed sweet potatoes