The best vegan everyday green Thai curry made with ingredients from your pantry. Warming, satisfying, and delicious!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp grated ginger root
- 1/4 cup Thai green curry paste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Fine sea alt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I used two pinches of salt and 20 twists of pepper)
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk (or 1 can of coconut milk plus 400 mL vegetable broth for a lighter option)
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- Optional: 1 1/2 cups diagonally sliced zucchini (from about 1 medium zucchini) OR a few handfuls of chopped spinach, kale, or collards
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- 1/3 cup toasted cashews (see note)
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- In a large pot, warm 1 tbsp of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and a small pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste and coconut sugar. Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and chickpeas and cook until the broccoli is bright green and tender, about five minutes. Add the cilantro and basil and remove from the heat.
- Optional step: Make pan-seared zucchini by warming the remaining 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until nicely browned. In place of the zucchini, you can add a few handfuls of chopped spinach, kale, or collards to the curry and cook until wilted and bright green.
- Serve the curry over white rice and top with toasted cashews, cilantro, and a few spritzes of lime juice.
To toast cashews, spread raw cashews on a baking sheet and toast at 325 degrees F for 8 minutes.
- Category: Curry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: vegan Thai green curry, Thai green curry