Delicious vegan banana spice cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting- perfect for parties, but just as great as an everyday dessert!
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 5 tbsp water (2 flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted, OR organic sunflower oil
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups mashed over-ripe banana (from 4 medium bananas)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 cup rolled oats (optional)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 5 oz (140 grams) chopped dark chocolate (55 percent or higher)
- Pinch of fine sea salt (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups. Alternatively, lightly grease the cups with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the flax and water in a large bowl. Set aside to ‘gel’ for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and rolled oats. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups. They will be quite full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place the coconut milk and dark chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk often until the chocolate has melted. Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla extract, if desired.
- Transfer into a bowl and refrigerate for 4-6 hours, or until it has the consistency of a spreadable frosting.
- Optional step: Beat the ganache with an electric mixer to make it more fluffy. (I didn’t find this to be necessary.)
- Spread the frosting over the cupcakes. If you have leftover frosting, it’s also delicious on its own or topped with berries as a chocolate mousse-style treat!
While the cupcakes are quick and easy, you will need to account for the amount of time that it takes the ganache to chill (4-6 hours). You might wish to make the ganache early in the day so that it’s ready by the time you want to enjoy it. Alternatively, you could opt to make this chocolate date frosting or this chocolate avocado frosting for a quicker option.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
Keywords: vegan banana cupcakes