Healthy and satisfying gochujang tofu and kimchi tacos topped with a salty-sweet sunflower seed butter sauce.
- 1 lb block organic firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1/3 cup Gochujang-Style Korean Chili Paste
Sunflower Seed Butter Sauce
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- Pinch each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, grapeseed, or avocado)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2-2 cups vegan kimchi
8-12 small organic corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and tamari. Toss to coat, then sprinkle on the arrowroot and toss again. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and dollop 1/3 cup of the gochujang over top. (You can leave the tofu on the baking sheet and dollop the gochujang over top- no need to transfer to a bowl.) Using a couple of spoons, toss to coat every cube in some gochujang. Place back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sunflower seed butter sauce. Combine the sunflower seed butter, lime juice, ginger, sesame oil, tamari, maple syrup, garlic, salt, pepper, and water in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer into a jar or container and set aside until ready to use.
- Make the pan-fried cabbage by warming the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Add the cabbage and a couple pinches each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 10-15 minutes. Add the apple cider vinegar, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Warm up the corn tortillas, if desired.
- To assemble a taco, add a few cubes of gochujang tofu, followed by some cabbage, kimchi, and sunflower seed sauce, on a tortilla. Garnish with a few cilantro leaves. Count on 2-3 tacos per person.
I often double the tofu recipe so that everyone gets lots. It’s addictive!
You can feel free to swap out the purple cabbage for 3 cups of sliced or quartered crimini mushrooms!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan, Korean
Keywords: gochujang tofu, gochujang tofu tacos, tofu kimchi tacos, vegan korean recipe