This vegan twist on classic bolognese is so healthy and satisfying. It’s packed with protein from lentils and walnuts which, when combined with mushrooms, have a taste and texture similar to a beef bolognese. A healthy splash of red wine at the end really makes this dish sing!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cups quartered crimini mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Couple pinches fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped walnut halves
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2–2 jars (680 mL jars) marinara sauce (depending on how saucy you like it)
- 3 cups cooked French green or regular green lentils (from 1 cup dry)*
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb dry linguine or spaghetti
- Sunflower Seed Parmesan
- Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook until the carrots have softened and the mushrooms are nicely browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, bay leaves, chili flakes, salt, pepper, and tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Then add the pasta sauce, cooked lentils, and wine.
- Bring to a rolling simmer, then turn down heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 20 minutes. You can simmer it over low heat for even longer to really get the flavours to meld, but 20 minutes is sufficient if you are short on time. Be sure to remove the bay leaves before serving!
- Ten minutes before you are ready to eat, cook the pasta according to the directions on the pasta.
- To serve, divide the pasta between four bowls and top with desired amount of sauce and sunflower seed parmesan.
*To cook 1 cup of dry lentils, rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve and place in a medium saucepan. Cover with a generous amount of water and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to medium-high and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, or until tender but not falling apart. Drain off excess water and proceed with your recipe.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan n
Keywords: vegan lentil walnut bolognese, vegan bolognese pasta sauce, lentil mushroom sauce for pasta