Get your VEGAN GAME DAY on with these Vegan Potato Skins with Tempeh Bacon, Vegan Cheese, and Cashew Sour Cream! Perfect with some craft beer. Everybody loves these.
- 3 medium/large organic russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- Avocado or grapeseed oil for brushing on the potatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 batch tempeh bacon crumbles (recipe follows)
- 1 1/2 cups grated vegan cheese, such as Daiya Monterey Jack (or use goat havarti if you eat dairy)
- 1/2 cup cashew sour cream (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 (250 gram) block of organic tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
Cashew Sour Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 45 minutes beforehand and drained
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly brush 3 organic medium/large russet potatoes with a heat-tolerant oil. I recommend avocado oil or grapeseed oil. Pierce all over with a fork and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Bake until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 1 hour.
- While the potatoes are baking, marinate the crumbled tempeh. Whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, smoked paprika, and pepper in a small dish. Place the crumbled tempeh in a glass dish and pour the liquid marinade over top. Stir to coat and set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to soak in.
- Cut each potato into halves lengthwise, then into quarters. Scoop out centers, making sure that you leave a 1/2-inch thick layer of baked potato on the skins.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and place potato quarters skin side down on the sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the tempeh bacon crumbles in a skillet over medium heat until nicely browned and crispy.
- Prepare the cashew sour cream: Blend all ingredients together in a blender. A high speed blender such as a Vitamix will result in the smoothest sour cream, but if you have a regular blender, it will still turn out- it just might not get completely smooth.
- Top the potatoes with the tempeh bacon and cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cashew sour cream and green onion, and serve immediately.
Recipe and method adapted from Earls: The Cookbook.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
Keywords: vegan potato skins, vegan potato skins with bacon recipe, vegan tempeh bacon potato skins, baked potato skins with cashew sour cream