This vegan biscuit pot pie with white beans and mushrooms is the perfect cozy winter one-dish meal. Super satisfying and healthy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 medium crimini mushrooms, scrubbed with a damp cloth and chopped into quarters
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp chickpea miso or mellow white miso
- 3 cups cooked white beans (navy beans or great northern beans)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp light/white spelt flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups light/white spelt flour, plus more as needed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp cold vegan butter (I use Miyokos exclusively- you can also use regular organic butter if you eat it)
- Warm the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for four minutes. Then add the rest of the salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, mushrooms, celery, and carrots. Cook until mushrooms are nicely browned and celery and carrots are somewhat tender, about four minutes more.
- Add the balsamic, tamari, miso, and white beans.
- Whisk together the vegetable broth and flour until no lumps remain. Add it to the vegetables and beans.
- Turn down heat to low and simmer for a few minutes while you prepare the biscuits.
- To make the biscuits, add the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar to a small bowl and whisk together. You’re making vegan buttermilk! Set it aside for a couple of minutes to ‘curdle.’
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork.
- Pour the vegan buttermilk over the dry ingredients and stir until you have a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until the dough has come together. The dough should be neither too sticky nor too dry. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky, or one more tablespoon of non-dairy milk if it is too dry.
- Roll out into a 1/2-inch thick round on a floured surface. Using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a drinking glass, cut out dough into 8 rounds and transfer them one by one to the top of bean and vegetable skillet.
- Transfer the entire skillet to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan biscuit pot pie recipe, vegan mushroom and bean pot pie recipe, vegan spelt biscuit recipe