A healthy-ish dairy-free spin on Nutella French toast. Perfect for a lazy weekend brunch, this bake is packed with protein and fudgy decadence from vegan chocolate hazelnut spread!
- 8 slices of day-old sourdough bread (whole grain or white–your choice!)
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate hazelnut spread (see note for my recommendation)
- 3 large organic, free range eggs
- 1/2 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Spread 1 1/2 tbsp of vegan chocolate hazelnut spread onto 4 slices of the bread. Top each slice with the second slice of bread to make 4 sandwiches.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup or coconut sugar, and cinnamon.
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with coconut oil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the prepared sandwiches in the dish. Pour the egg mixture over top of the sandwiches and flip them so that both sides of each sandwich are fully saturated with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool briefly before serving with sliced banana, berries, and/or coconut whipped cream.
My favourite vegan chocolate hazelnut spread is Brinkers La Vida Vegan brand since it is palm oil-free, plus certified organic and fair trade.