A healthy (ish!) vegan s’mores cake made with a nut, oat, maple base and a gooey, fudgey chocolate cake interior, topped with marshmallows and chocolate. It’s irresistible!
- 2/3 cup raw pecan halves
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil, softened
- 3 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (can be swapped for 1 cup light spelt flour and 1/2 cup oat flour)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 100 grams roughly chopped dark chocolate (55 percent cacao or higher)
- 3/4 cup mini vegan marshmallows (I use Dandies brand)
- Lightly grease a 8×8-inch square baking dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust: Place the pecan halves, oats, maple syrup, coconut oil, and salt in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade and pulse until the mixture is crumbly and holds together somewhat.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and press down into an even layer with your fingers. The more firmly you press it down, the better it will stay together. Bake crust for 8 minutes and set aside.
- Prepare the cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the prepared flax egg, softened coconut oil, sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the spelt flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Stir in 50 grams of the chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour the cake batter over top of the pre-baked crust. Add the marshmallows and the remaining 50 grams of chocolate on top, lightly pressing down into the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the marshmallows are perfectly browned. Watch closely, as ovens vary in heat intensity: you don’t want the marshmallows to burn!
- Remove from the oven and enjoy it in its warm, gooey glory, or wait for it to cool. I’m not here to judge!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan s'mores cake, s'mores cake, s'mores fudge cake, vegan s'mores, vegan marshmallows, coconut sugar sweetened cake