This simple, vibrant kale salad is perfect for the holidays. Bursting with roasted sweet potato, pepitas, and pomegranate, it’s a fiesta of flavours and colours. Keep your glow going all winter long with this colourful salad.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium bunches of green kale
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Arils from 1 pomegranate
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, raw or toasted
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cubed sweet potato on the baking sheet and toss with olive oil and a pinch each salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Chop the kale into ribbons. Place in a large bowl.
- Prepare the remaining salad ingredients and set aside.
- Mix up all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl or jar and whisk in the bowl or secure the lid on the jar and shake vigorously.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and ‘massage’ it into the kale until the kale is bright green and tender. Add the celery, red onion, pumpkin seeds, pomegranate, and sweet potato. Toss to combine and serve.
- This salad keeps in an airtight container in the fridge for several days, so enjoy leftovers all week long!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: festive kale salad, sweet potato kale salad, pomegranate and kale salad, winter kale salad with root vegetables