You will find yourself craving this wholesome beet, cabbage, and kidney bean borscht again and again. Beets are an incredibly healthy food, believed to build the blood according to Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine, and aiding in nitric oxide production, with the potential to enhance endurance in athletes!
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled beets
- 3 heaping cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Yogurt of choice
- Fresh dill
- Warm the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, the paprika, and the cayenne; stir to incorporate.
- Add the chopped beets, shredded cabbage, and potatoes, followed by the kidney beans and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until beets and potatoes are fork tender and cabbage is soft.
- Finally, add the dill and apple cider vinegar. Remove from heat and garnish with yogurt and dill.
- Category: Soup
Keywords: vegan borscht recipe, bean beet cabbage borscht recipe, healthy borscht recipe, beet soup recipe