Healthy, warming, and satisfying vegan curried lentil and butternut squash roti with a delicious cilantro lime cashew cream sauce for dipping.
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing roti
- 7 cups peeled and cubed (1 inch cubes) butternut squash (from 1 large butternut squash)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 10-12-inch whole grain flour tortillas
Cilantro Lime Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours and drained
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (some stems are fine)
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water, plus more as needed to thin
- Rinse and drain the lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Place them in a medium saucepan and cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain off any excess water, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the squash on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and a couple pinches of fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- While the squash is in the oven, warm the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Then add the red bell pepper and ginger and cook a couple minutes more.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the spices plus the 1 tsp of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the spices to the vegetables in the skillet and stir to incorporate.
- Add the lentils to the skillet, as well as the roasted butternut squash and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- To assemble the roti, place 1 heaping cup of lentil/squash mixture in the center of a tortilla and roll up. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with a bit of olive oil and place the roti in it. Repeat with the remaing 3 tortillas. Lightly brush a small amount of olive oil over each roti to enhance browning while baking.
- Bake the roti for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges and crispy.
- While the roti is baking, make the cilantro lime cashew cream. Blend together the soaked cashews, lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, garlic, maple syrup, nutritional yeast, and water in a blender until ultra smooth and creamy, adding more water as needed if it seems too hard to blend. Transfer the cream into a glass jar and cover until ready to use.
Forgot to soak the cashews in advance? Simply soak them in boiling water for 45 minutes and proceed with the recipe.
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: vegan roti, butternut squash and lentil roti, butternut squash lentil wraps, curried squash lentil roti