An indulgent yet healthy vegan breakfast of chocolate steel cut oatmeal spells out comfort on cold morning.
- 1 cup steel cut oats, soaked in a bowl of water overnight and drained
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or 2–3 pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Nut butter
- Dark chocolate
- Fruit (such as pomegranate, berries, and banana)
- Warm the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the soaked and drained oats. Toast the oats in the oil for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the non-dairy milk, cocoa, maple syrup/dates, and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Then turn down heat to medium-low and cook until the porridge thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and remove from heat.
- Divide the porridge between 2 or 3 bowls and top with nut butter, dark chocolate, and fruit.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat as needed.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: vegan chocolate steel cut oatmeal, creamy chocolate steel cut oatmeal, healthy vegan oatmeal, vegan oatmeal ideas