- 2 medium round winter squash, such as acorn or dumpling
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup beluga or French green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp each dried thyme, basil, and oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 12 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup currants or dried fruit of choice
- 1 medium bunch green kale, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush the inside flesh with a small amount of olive oil and place squash face down on two cookie sheets. Roast squash for 30-40 minutes, or until fork tender in the center. Remove from the oven and turn them so that the flesh is facing upwards. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- While the squash is in the oven, cook the brown rice. Combine the drained rice with 1 1/4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of sea salt and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. At the same time, cook the lentils in a separate pot. Place the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until tender, about 15 minutes, adding more water as needed. Drain excess liquid off of the lentils and set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes before adding carrots, celery, salt and pepper to taste, thyme, basil, oregano, and chili flakes. Cook five minutes more. Then add the olives, currants, and finally the kale. Cook just until kale is bright green.
- Add the cooked rice and lentils to the vegetables in the skillet. Taste and add additional salt or spices if desired (I think I used about 3/4 tsp of salt in total.)
- To assemble the stuffed squash, divide the filling between the four squash halves. (You may have extra filling, depending on the size of your squash.) I like to stuff the squash fairly generously!
- Warm the stuffed squash in the oven for 15-20 minutes. In the final 5 minutes of baking, add the sunflower seed Parmesan to brown it.
- Serve the squash with sauce of choice: marinara sauce, pesto, and green hemp cream are all delicious options!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
Keywords: lentil rice stuffed squash, vegan stuffed squash recipe, easy stuffed winter squash recipe