Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Homemade pumpkin puree is easier than you might think. Here are step-by-step instructions for pumpkin puree that is way better than store-bought.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 42 minutes
- Yield: Varies depending on pumpkin size
- Category: How To
- Method: Puree
- 1 organic sugar pumpkin (small/medium- not the kind you buy for Halloween!)
- Melted virgin coconut oil, for brushing on the flesh
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and get out a baking sheet.
- Wash and dry the pumpkin. Slice it in half lengthwise and carefully remove the stem.
- Scoop out the seeds. Either rinse them and reserve them for roasting later, or discard them.
- Lightly brush a small amount (about 1 teaspoon) of melted coconut oil over the orange flesh of each pumpkin half.
- Place face-down on the baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the skin is blistered and the flesh of the pumpkin is fork-tender. Remove from the oven.
- Turn the pumpkin over so that the flesh is facing up: this will help it cool faster.
- Once the pumpkin has cooled completely, scoop out the flesh and place it in a food processor.
- Process until ultra smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight glass jar and secure the lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.
The pumpkin puree keeps, covered in the refrigerator, for up to a week.
Keywords: homemade pumpkin puree, how to roast a pumpkin, pumpkin puree from scratch, pumpkin recipes