Hearty and wholesome vegetarian black bean and sweet potato quesadillas. Serve with salsa and my cilantro jalapeno pesto for an easy main dish or a fun game day appetizer.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat feta cheese OR non-dairy cheese of choice
- 4 large (10-inch) whole grain tortillas
- Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the diced sweet potato on it and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potato is tender and slightly crispy around the edges. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, warm the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, coriander, and cayenne; stir to incorporate. Then add the diced red pepper and cook until tender. Finally, add the cooked black beans, corn, and roasted sweet potato. Stir to incorporate.
- To assemble a quesadillas, place a tortilla on a baking sheet and spoon desired amount of filling over one half of tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese and fold over. If desired, brush a small amount of olive oil on the outside of the quesadilla; this will help it brown and crisp up in the oven.
- Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes, flipping each quesadilla halfway through baking.
- Serve with cilantro jalapeno pesto and salsa.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan
Keywords: vegetarian quesadillas, sweet potato black bean quesadillas, mexican vegetarian