A hearty harvest-inspired salad that features roasted delicata squash and figs, plus kale, pecans, onion, and celery. It’s love at first bite!
- 1 medium delicata squash, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds scooped out
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10–12 ripe Black Mission figs, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 large bunch green kale
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice the squash into 3/4-inch half moon slices and arrange on one of the baking sheets. Drizzle with 3/4 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to evenly distribute the oil all over the squash.
- On the second baking sheet, arrange the figs. Drizzle with the remaining 3/4 tbsp of oil and toss to coat.
- Roast the figs for 15 minutes and the squash for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F and place the pecan halves in a small baking dish. Roast for 8-10 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Wash and dry the kale. Remove any tough stems and chop the kale into ribbons. Place in a large salad bowl.
- Make the dressing by adding the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic, salt, and pepper to a jar. Secure the lid and shake to emulsify. Pour over the kale and massage it into the kale so that the kale turns bright green and becomes tender. Then add sliced red onion and celery and toss to incorporate. Lastly, add the toasted pecans and roasted squash and figs to the salad and toss again.
Leftovers keep in the fridge for several days.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: vegan
Keywords: delicata squash kale salad, fall harvest salad, fig pecan kale salad, squash kale salad, fall salad recipe