This sweet potato casserole is perfect for vegan-friendly holiday celebrations. It features a mashed sweet potato and roasted garlic base and a crispy kale/pecan ‘Parmesan’ topping. So satisfying and warming- the perfect fall comfort dish!
- 5 medium/large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch half circles
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 bunch of green kale
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup raw pecan halves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Tightly wrap the garlic in parchment paper (I prefer parchment over aluminum foil because it is less toxic) and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes, or until garlic cloves are very soft and mushy. Unwrap and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped sweet potato in a steaming basket and steam until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Empty into a large mixing bowl and mash using a potato masher.
- Once garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the soft cloves into the bowl of mashed sweet potato and mash in. Then add the olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and non-dairy milk. Stir to incorporate.
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Spoon the mashed sweet potato into the dish and spread out with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the oven and pre-bake for about 15 minutes while you make the topping.
- To make the topping, chop the kale into ribbons. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil plus a pinch each of salt and pepper. Massage the oil into the kale with your hands until it is bright green and tender.
- In a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade, combine the pecans, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and garlic powder. Process into a powder.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven. Top with the massaged kale (you might not need all of it) and the pecan Parmesan. Return to the oven for 10 minutes more, or until the kale is crispy and the pecan Parmesan is lightly browned.
Keywords: sweet potato casserole, pecan Parmesan, vegan sweet potato casserole, vegan Thanksgiving