These Californian tempeh tacos with cashew queso will transport you to a surf-side taco shack on a sunny beach. A tempeh ‘meat’ forms the base of these tacos, and gets topped with cashew queso, avocado, jalapenos, and salsa.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-oz) package tempeh, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 45 minutes and drained
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (for colour)
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as needed to thin
- 1 batch of taco meat, above
- 1 batch of queso, above
- Diced avocado
- Pickled jalapenos, homemade or store-bought
- Diced tomato
- Diced cucumber
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Red or green salsa
- Make the tempeh taco ‘meat’: Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the diced tempeh and cook for two minutes. Then add the smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt, pepper, tamari, balsamic, and hot sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and cover until ready to serve.
- Make the cashew queso: Place the cashews, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and water in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water, a tablespoon at a time, as needed. You want the texture of a creamy cheese sauce.
- Warm the tortillas, if desired. Prepare any additional toppings: tomato, cucumber, avocado, pickled jalapenos, red onion, and salsa.
- Assemble tacos by spooning some taco meat onto a tortilla, followed by avocado, pickled jalapenos, tomato, cucumber, salsa, and cashew queso. Makes 8 tacos, enough for 3-4 people.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: tacos, dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan, West Coast
Keywords: tempeh tacos, tempeh taco meat, vegan taco meat, cashew queso, vegan mexican